Footwear worth Rs. 15 lakh goes up in flames

Footwear worth more than Rs. 15 lakh was reportedly destroyed in a fire that broke out at a store in Ullagaram near St. Thomas Mount on Thursday afternoon. No one was injured.

The fire broke out at one of the air conditioner units at the showroom on Medavakkam Main Road around 12.30 p.m. As smoke billowed from the AC unit, employees informed the fire control room. Three fire tenders from Velachery and Guindy rushed to the spot and fire services personnel brought the fire under control after an over two-hour long effort.

An electrical short circuit is reported to have caused the fire, police sources said. They added that the power supply was shut down and around 20 families residing on other floors of the premises were evacuated. Similarly, the petrol bunk opposite the store also shut down their sales for a while as a precautionary measure.

Popular Posts